March 16, 2011

Golf Rad Conversion Finished

Well the rad is in and topped with coolant. It is not 100% done as I plan to add another air return from the thermostat cover. I only needed to make one custom piece in the whole system. A bleed tee on the pump suction side. I flared the take off and inserted it into the hole from the inside of the larger tube, this way the JB weld is only used a sealant and is not really load bearing. 
You can see the custom piece as the lower line in the picture below. Notice that the pump will circulate coolant through the expansion tank however the air return side has a built in restriction <1mm diameter so it will be a relatively slow circulation. Also notice that I was able to get a nice line by just flipping the thermostat cover 180deg. Not perfect but it works and everything clears.
Here is the whole engine back in the car with the dizzy in place for now to set up the carbs. I want to get all systems go before switching to the Megajolt. That way I'm not trying to tune the carbs and troubleshoot the Megajolt at the same time. Small steps, keep them simple and get them right.
The Megajolt bodge. Added a pair of spacers to move the VR sensor out and allow me to mount the trigger wheel on the outside of the pulley for now. I am going to order a smaller wheel from boost in the future and return to the position behind the wheel.
Posted by Picasa