March 14, 2011

DIY Ram Pipes v1.0

More of an experiment to see if how difficult is is to create a mold and get a nice smooth final product. Worked great. My next version should have a fully radius on the inlet and hopefully will have an optimized mold printed on the sla machine at school. I plan to create my own modified filters from an old pair of chrome covers from an old sandwich style filter. 


I am quite happy with the results on the inside shape which needed only minimal sanding. I finalized with 220 grit wet sand. The inside doesn't seem very photogenic with the rough surface, maybe it will be better post spray lacquer. 
I used two different methods on making them, one I used a couple of large pieces and tried to wrap the whole surface in one piece and built up 4 layers, the other I used a number of small 1/2" wide strips and built it up. I would recommend using the number of small strips. It' the method I will use on version 2.0. I plan to add a page with more images of the mold and materials as I do v2.0 too. Total cost for the pair is about $20 and everything is available at the local hardware store. FYI Dish soap makes a great mold release agent.


The back side is a perfect match to the carb inlet. When I made the mold I continued it with a slight taper for an extra inch so that I could cut it for a perfect fit. Worked out great.