March 9, 2011

Megajolt Progress (1)

After a day at Standard Auto Wreckers I was able to hunt down a spare coil pack from a V8 Explorer and with some help from Dallas remove a harmonic balancer with a trigger wheel attached from a Taurus. I also scored a second VR sensor and plug wires. all for about $25. I picked up a Nippon Denso alternator too on the chance it would fit but no dice. With a bit of work I was able to fit all the components to the engine that afternoon.


The toughest part was removing the trigger wheel from the harmonic balanced. After smashing one to bits trying to get it off at the junk yard I was very hesitant to use any amount of force to get it off. I used my grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the center portion, then used a larger grinding disc to grind away the inside of the boss which the wheel was pressed on. I found a nice balance where the grinder would spin the assembly on it's own while cutting at was able to get a very clean and round removal. Once the boss was nearly gone and very thin I just a screwdriver to gently pry the wheel free.

I used a very simple bracket made from 1.5" x 0.125" aluminum which should be sturdy enough to cancel out any vibrations. 



The trigger wheel is attached from behind with bolts and washers. It can be rotated around to get the perfect 90deg offset for the missing tooth from the sensor. Right now there are only two bolts but I am thinking of going to four. 


I also grabbed all the two conductor shielded wiring from three or four cars and patched it all together properly with shrink tubing. Total is about 6' in length. I plan to use the extra to connect to Megajolt to the EDIS module.