March 4, 2011

HS2 Manifold Modfications

I began working on the manifold side of the intake system. The HS2's won't be permanent on this motor, not in the slight. They are just a necessary nuisance until I can locate(afford) a reasonable set of DHLA 40's or ADDHE C40's. I am finding Webers just incredibly overpriced, and from what I hear the ones in circulation are getting a wee bit tired. So here I am, making the best of what I've got for now.

On the carb side I found that there was quite a course edge left from when the whole was bored into the manifold. 


My plan of attach was just to relieve this edge somewhat to smooth out the flow a bit. Coriolis tells me that the gas will try to follow this curve which is good on the side the cylinder is intaking from but back on the other as it will try to pull some gas away from the intaking cylinder, possibly causing more turbulence on the opposite side to the cylinder intaking. At high rpm I don't see this being as critical as at low as the flow through the carbs will be far smoother with the volume of the intakes smoothing out the pulses. Maybe? Net gain is probably minimal. Especially when you consider the giant balance chamber across the top of the manifold which cannot be at all flow friendly. Again making the best of what I've got. Here is the end result:



Interesting shot without the carbs on. You can see right down to the valves. To do the port matching on the manifold I used the gasket, then after I put it straight on the head for some fine tuning. I then put the gasket on the head and gave it a quick roll of the wrist around the inside of the ports to get everything perfectly flush. 


Pretty straight shot to the valve guides

looking up the port you can see how they match

Final touch up port matching
I have decided after school I am going to tear out all the wiring and redo it in nice clean bundles and work it into my nice fuse panel properly. Colour code everything properly! Lights will keep the nice colour code system but everything else will be black to ground, red wires will be always hot and run to relays and master. yellow will be hot beyond this and a mix of blue, purple, green etc beyond that level. Keeps it dead simple. When you look at a wire you automatically know what you are dealing with.